Chris Gayle – Cricket Ambassador – T20 Superstar
A welcome addition to the Spartan family of ambassadors, Chris Gayle brings his superstar persona to Spartan.
Cris Gayle – joining the Spartan team prior to the 2012 IPL competition, Gayle has used his new Spartan Bat to make a massive impact for his team Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Gayle started playing for the West Indies at a youth international level before making his first-class debut aged 19 for Jamaica. He played his first One Day International 11 months later, and his first Test match 6 months after that.
Gayle earned himself a black mark on his first senior tour – to England in 2000 – where the new boys were felt to be insufficiently respectful of their elders. But a lack of respect, for opposition bowlers at least, has served Gayle well since then. Tall and imposing at the crease, he loves to carve through the covers off either foot, and has the ability to decimate the figures of even the thriftiest of opening bowlers.
He set the record for the highest innings in a Twenty20 International, scoring 117 against South Africa in the first match of the 2007 World Twenty20. The innings was the first century in international Twenty20 cricket and made him the first batsmen to score a century in each of international cricket’s three formats.
Full Name: Christopher Henry Gayle
Date of Birth: Sep 21, 1979, Kingston, Jamaica
Height: 191 cm
Major Teams: West Indies, Sydney Thunder, Royal Challengers Bangalore
Position: All-Rounder, Left-handed, Right arm off break
Nick Name: Galy
Career Highlights :
- Chris Gayle is among the few West Indian players to have scored more than 6000 runs in Test cricket.
- He is the fourth highest run getter for West Indies in ODIs.
- Gayle holds the record for most number of centuries for a West Indian in ODIs.
- He became the first West Indian to score more than 7000 runs and take more than 150 wickets in ODIs.
- Gayle also became the first player to score a triple century against South Africa.
- He has the unique distinction of scoring a 100 in all three formats of the game.
- Gayle is the first player to have scored a century on T20 WC debut.